Monday, January 09, 2006

Dust & Cake

I feel like blogging but I don't know what to blog about, so this will probably be another chapter in useless blogness. This picture here is me after sanding the plaster in the front room (the room where the wall was taken down - see last blog).
Now that the room is opened up, I had to redo some of the plaster by repairing the cracks caused by the house shifting over time. I never really worked with plaster before but it doesn't seem to be too hard once you get the right mixture of plaster:water.
We had to peel off all the wall paper before plastering t0 ensure the cracks were completely filled. Most people would say to knock out all the plaster and put drywall in. I find plaster walls a lot better because they are more acoustically sound, so to speak. They are also less fragile than drywall; these walls were built to last. I don't really care if the walls are completely flat or perfect. I want to spend my life living making music etc. rather than spending my whole life making this the house someone else would like ("marketable"). Not to say that having plaster walls isn't a good selling point. I love all the old charm and craftsmanship put into the house.

Oh yeah. Here I am baking a cake. I also made seitan with ginger/bbq sauce. My wife got mad at me. She was baking scones that were longer than the chesapeake bay bridge, and I asked if they were square, and she started accusing me of not appreciating her efforts to bake all the time then stormed out to lift weights (see our new set below). About 2 hours later she came out and told me to make meals for awhile. The scones tasted fantastic but not as good as my cake:

I don't know what Bingecafe is going to do without any new food. I guess she can copy my recipes.
(wife note: the seitan was like a charred log)
Until next time, from the sloping band house,
NL

3 comments:

Eleni Binge said...

More on NL's cooking:
I stopped scraping the living room he sanded and went to the kitchen to eat. I looked into the bowl NL was stirring and saw the frosting was like chocolate milk.
"We" fixed it by melting chocolate chips into the "milk" and adding some peanut butter.
The cake was great, especially if you needed a hard sponge to clean with. No, it tasted good despite the texture. Just a little well done.
I must say that overall the last 2 meals have been quite good. The Robey Salad (put everything you can find in the fridge into a bowl and eat) and the Robey stir-fry (kale, chili noodles, and tempeh). All vegan goodness. Just like NL.

Sloping Band House said...

OK. A special little thank you to you for helping me with my frosting. I'm sure in the past you've had challenges you have overcome with cooking. But either way, you have to admit, it tastes better than your scones. Seitan just isn't my thing. But I make a damn good cup of coffee.

Aguavino said...

Well, my question was answered about whether NL would be posting pictures of his culinary creations on his blog...

Did you get that weight set free on CL too???