Monday, January 16, 2006

Moving the Outlet & the Closing of Beloved Cafe

As you faithful readers of the sloping house know, I knocked down a wall the other day. In that wall was an outlet that I had to move to another wall. The existing electrical wire wasn't long enough to hook into the new socket, so I had to install a junction box underneathe the house, splice the wire, and attach a longer piece of wire that would reach the outlet.
Here are some basic tools that I used:









The first thing I had to do was drill a hole into the floor so that the wire could come up through it. Then I pulled the wire up through the wall to the new outlet.

Next I attached the junction box (pictured here) and spliced the wires. The code requires that the copper wire, or ground wire, is secured to the junction box. After the wires are spliced, and the ground wire is secured, I twisted each of the two pairs of matching wires together (white to white and black to black) and put the twisted wires inside the covers (red and yellow pictured below).
After this I went upstairs to connect my outlet. Here is the basic outlet box I used upstairs which is used to secure the outlet to the wall.
After cutting a hole in the baseboard for this casing, I ran the wires through the holes in the casing. Then I matched and attached the existing wires together as I explained before. I used my CB tester on this outlet to make sure the polarities were matching the existing outlets and they were. I was concerned about the wires at first because the newer wire looks smaller than the existing wire, but when I tested the gage on the copper they matched up to what they were supposed to be.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician. I only have a father who was.

If you follow my steps, you may burn your house down. OK, my wife wanted me to say that last statement.

I am sad to say, dear friends, that Beloved Cafe is closed due to a lack of customers. It seems Binge Cafe has reopened and stole all my people.

However, there is some good news. Beloved Binge will be hitting the studio in Atlanta. We're very excited to be recording in analog. We have some new tunes and some that you might know that we'll record. Hopefully we'll be done by the middle of April. I've been playing a lot more guitar these days and Eleni has too.

3 comments:

Michael said...

You gonna put a cover on that j-box, fella? You better or you'll burn the whole place down. Will it be accessible? Some codes call for that. I asked my electrician dad and he said: "If in the future he wanted to install some sort of wallboard the wire would have to be changed to run contiuously from supply to outlet." Just an FYI. You're doing an amazing job on that place, BTW. I'm really impressed.

Aguavino said...

I, too, am impressed with the work on the sloping house. My brother is going to be building a new house for himself and his (still intact) family in a few months. Perhaps you would like to take another trip to W. Virginny and help him out???

Sloping Band House said...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I didn't want to bore you with a lot of pics, but I did put a cover on it. Eleni and I did have a good time out there in W. Virginny, but I'm sure your brother and father know all there is to know about building a house. I still have dreams about how great that cake was. Maybe some day the Cafe will be back.