Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My crap Hardwood floors




Why is it that some of us know the right way to do something, but don't do it? Is it being Lazy or is it wanting something so bad we go about it haphazardly? In my case. I know that when sanding hardwood floors, you start with a rough grade of sandpaper, medium grade and then fine grade. Stain the floors and add some polyurethane etc. I didn't do that. Disclaimer: Don't do what I did! You can sand through your floor and fall in! I used this machine. It's a monster. I never used it before . The old floor was gone before I knew it. Some parts were harder than others and took more than one pass. Parts of the floor have small dents in it now. I only used a rough grade and then stained/polyurethane the floors. I did do some what of a fine sanding by hand after the first coat of the polyurethane.
It too
k a few days for the floor to dry and the smell was getting to me. I'm thinking that I will redo them some other year. I guess the floor is better than before and we can put down some throw rugs. Some times, I'm my own worst critic. Syba seems to like the floor and Eleni loves it. Next time, I will take the time to do it right so I'll like it .

4 comments:

Eleni Binge said...

I think the floors are great. Might I add that the hand-sanding of all the sides was done by yours truly. I'll never drum again thanks to the wrist pain produced from the hours of sanding. OK, maybe I'll play again. Once we get done with the tv room floors. Anyway, the dents look great too. They are great toe-holds so you don't slip on the shiny floors.

Eleni Binge said...

Hey now...I only helped dent the sides, rather than the entire floor...oh, and I spelt (spilled?) paint a little bit when I was painting in my fire for the fireplace. Maybe I got some plaster on the floor too, but...now it has character!

Eleni Binge said...

the piano dented the floors, but they are still nice.

Gary said...

Good-looking floors, especially under the 'Starry Night'.