Saturday, December 31, 2005

What Wall?

Alright, so this 1928 bungalow had a dividing wall making it into a duplex. After talking to a few friends who restore old homes, I decided to knock this wall down. At first my wife wanted to keep it and just make a window, but we both agreed later that just to remove it. There is more light throughout the space now and it makes the front room more grand. The wall itself was made out of gypsum board so it was quite easy to pull apart. Most people would have used drywall but in this case they went the cheap route. With the good help of my trusty sledgehammer, I knocked down the majority of the wall. The hardest thing about removing the wall has been relocating the electrical outlet to the other wall, which will be done with a junction box and some extra wire that you can pick up at your local hardware store.

When tearing down walls sometimes you find great treasures of gold, silver, or money that most people forgot they hid. In my case, I was lucky enough to recover 2 great baseball cards:

Although I don't care much for the Phillies, my favorite childhood baseball team was the Mets.

I like to support our local Hardware store, but many times when I go to buy something (like the junction box) they don't have it in stock. Now if the Mets didn't have any baseballs in stock, what would happen? They'd lose their jobs.

The other day we got a "free" piano. Well it wasn't exactly free after we paid some people to help us move it into our house. But here it is:

The following night, we met a neighbor (we'll call him "Bond") who moves pianos for a living. Bond tells me that everyone is busy buying the newest electric pianos on the market and he's stuck throwing away grand pianos that only need a little 'lovin. Just like this piano here. Six keys are broken but we have all the parts to fix them.

We have a ways to go on this sloping band house, but until next time, I doubt this information helped at all, but maybe someday I'll put something really educational here.

1 comment:

Aguavino said...

Hey Neutral Lippy,

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog with the progress of your new home. You're just like Tim the Toolman Taylor! We could have used your expertise the night that couple had sex in the men's room at work and broke the sink...